Col Devin R. Wooden is Commander of the 137th Special Operations Wing, Will Rogers Air National Guard Base, Oklahoma City, Okla. The 137 SOW is a US Air Force flying wing aligned under the Air National Guard. The wing provides manned Intelligence, Reconnaissance, and Surveillance support for Air Force Special Operations Command.
Col Wooden directs, trains, equips and maintains a diverse military force capable of short notice, world-wide deployments in response to Department of Defense approved war plans and contingencies as a multi-mission air wing. He is responsible for the combat readiness of a wing consisting of three groups and 10 staff offices with more than 1,200 personnel. He oversees and executes an operating budget of more than $59 million that includes support of one tenant organization.
A member of the Oklahoma ANG since September 1986, he was commissioned through the Academy of Military Science at Knoxville, Tenn. in 1990. He’s served the 137th Airlift Wing as an enlisted Command Post controller, co-pilot, aircraft commander, instructor pilot, flight examiner, squadron flying safety officer, weapons and tactics officer, flight commander- chief pilot, Director of Operations, 185th Squadron Commander and Commander of the 137th Operations Group. Colonel Wooden has served as the Director of Mobility Forces for United States NORTHCOM in support of Hurricane Sandy and the Deputy Director of Mobility Forces for United States CENTCOM during Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan.
Col Wooden is a command pilot with more than 5,000 military flying hours in the T-37, T-38, C-130 and KC-135 aircraft.
1994 Bachelor of Science, Aerospace Science, Oklahoma State University, Okla.
1999 Squadron Officer School
2002 Air Command and Staff College
2006 Air War College
2012 Joint Task Force Commander’s Course, United States Northern Command, Colorado Springs, Colorado
1. September 1986 – December 1989: Command and Control Specialist, 137th Airlift Wing, Will Rogers ANG Base, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
2. April 1990 – April 1991: Undergraduate Pilot Training, 47th Flying Training Wing, Laughlin Air Force Base, Del Rio, Texas.
3. September 1991 – January 1995: Co-pilot, Aircraft Commander, Squadron Flying Safety Officer, 185th Airlift Squadron, Will Rogers ANG Base, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
4. February 1995- June 1997: Pilot Weapons and Tactics Officer, 137th Operations Support Flight, Will Rogers ANG Base, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
5. July 1997 – January 2003: Instructor Pilot, Evaluator Pilot, Flight Commander, 185th Airlift Squadron, Will Rogers ANG Base, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
6. February 2003 - May 2005, Director of Operations, 185th Airlift Squadron, Will Rogers ANG Base, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
7. March 2003- September 2003, Director of Operations, 746th Expeditionary Airlift Squadron, King Faisal Air Base, Tabuk, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, and Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar.
8. May 2005 – October 2007, Commander, 185th Airlift Squadron, Will Rogers ANG Base, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
9. October 2007- January 2011, Commander, 137th Operations Group, Will Rogers ANG Base, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
10. January 2011 – Dec 2013, Vice Commander, 137th Air Refueling Wing, Will Rogers ANGB, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
11. January 2014 – present, Commander 137th Special Operations Wing, Will Rogers ANGB, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
Rating: Command Pilot
Military Flight Hours: More than 5,000 hours
Military Aircraft Flown: T-37, T-38, C-130 and KC-135 aircraft
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal w/Three Devices
Air Medal w/Four Devices
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
AF Outstanding Unit Award with Valor Device w/One Device
Combat Readiness Medal w/Seven Devices
Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal w/One Device
National Defense Service Medal w/One Device
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Southwest Asia Service Medal w/One Device
Kosovo Campaign Medal w/One Device
Afghanistan Campaign Medal w/One Device
Iraq Campaign Medal w/One Device
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal w/Two Devices
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal
AF Overseas Ribbon Short
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border
AF Longevity Service w/Seven Devices
Armed Forces Reserve Medal w/Seven ‘M’ Devices
AF Training Ribbon w/One Device
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND AFFILIATIONS
National Guard Association of the United States
National Guard Association of Oklahoma
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant April 1990
First Lieutenant May 1992
Captain May 1994
Major Sept. 1999
Lieutenant Colonel Sept. 2003
Colonel April 2008
(Current as of Sept. 2016)