Col. Rick L. Mutchler is the Vice Commander of the 137th Special Operations Wing (137th SOW), Will Rogers Air National Guard Base, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. The 137th SOW is a U.S. Air Force flying wing aligned under the Air National Guard. The wing provides manned Intelligence, Reconnaissance, and Surveillance support for Air Force Special Operations Command. Col. Mutchler directs, trains, equips and maintains a diverse military force capable of short notice, world-wide deployments in response to Department of Defense approved war plans and contingencies as a multi-mission air wing. He is responsible for the combat readiness of the wing, consisting of three groups and 10 staff offices with more than 1,100 personnel. He oversees and executes an operating budget of more than $59 million.
Col. Mutchler entered the Air Force in December 1984 as a supply specialist and joined the OKANG under the Palace Chase program in 1986. He was commissioned through the Academy of Military Science at Knoxville, Tenn. in 2000. Col. Mutchler is a former Logistician and seasoned Logistics Readiness Officer, Force Support Squadron Commander, Deputy Commander and Commander of the 137th Special Operations Mission Support Group.
1994 Associate Degree in Logistics, Community College of the Air Force
2001 Bachelor of Liberal Studies, University of Oklahoma, Norman, Okla.
2002 Squadron Officers School, correspondence
2002 Supply Officers Course in residence, Lackland AFB, Texas
2003 Logistics Readiness Officer Course, correspondence
2007 Air Command and Staff College, correspondence
2009 Force Support Officers Course in residence, Keesler AFB, Miss.
2014 Air War College, correspondence
2017 Master’s Degree, Administrative Leadership, University of Oklahoma, Norman, Okla.
2017 Reserve Component National Security Course in residence
2017 USAF Mission Support Group Commanders Course in residence
2019 Joint Task Force Commander Training Course (JCTC 19-03) in residence
2019 Dual Status Commander Orientation Course (DSC 20-01) in residence
- March 2000 – April 2004, Chief of Supply, Will Rogers ANG Base, Okla.
- April 2004 – Dec 2005, Installation Deployment Officer, Will Rogers ANG Base, Okla.
- Dec 2005 – Jan 2007, 137th Logistics Readiness Squadron (137th LRS) Operations Officer, Will Rogers ANG Base, Okla.
- Jan 2007 – May 2008, Logistics Division Chief, 137th LRS, Will Rogers ANG Base, Okla.
- May 2008 – September 2010, Director, 137th Force Support Squadron (137th FSS), Will Rogers ANG Base, Okla.
- September 2010 – April 2012, Commander, 137th FSS, Will Rogers ANG Base, Okla.
- September 2011 – March 2012, Commander, 405th Expeditionary Force Support Flight, Southwest Asia
- April 2012 – January 2016, Deputy Commander, 137th Mission Support Group (137th MSG), Will Rogers ANG Base, Okla.
- January 2016 – May 2019, Commander, 137th Special Operations Mission Support Group, Will Rogers ANG Base, Okla.
- May 2019 – Present, Vice Commander, 137th SOW, Will Rogers ANG Base, Okla.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award
Meritorious Unit Award
National Defense Service Medal with one device
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with gold border
Air Force Longevity Service with five devices
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with hourglass device
Air Force Training Ribbon with one oak leaf cluster
Alfred P. Murrah Service Medal
Oklahoma Governor’s Distinguished Unit Award Ribbon
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND AFFILIATIONS
National Guard Association of the United States
National Guard Association of Oklahoma (Lifetime Member)
Will Rogers ANG Retiree Association (Lifetime Member)
DATES OF RANK
Second Lieutenant March 3, 2000
First Lieutenant March 3, 2002
Captain March 3, 2004
Major March 3, 2008
Lieutenant Colonel March 3, 2012
Colonel January 11, 2016
(Current as of Dec 2019)