Col. Daniel R. Fowler is Commander of the 137th Special Operations Wing, Will Rogers Air National Guard Base, Oklahoma City. The 137th SOW is a U.S. Air Force flying wing aligned under the Air National Guard. The wing provides manned Intelligence, Reconnaissance, and Surveillance support for Air Force Special Operations Command (AFSOC).
Col. Fowler directs, trains, equips and maintains a diverse military force capable of short-notice, world-wide deployments in response to Department of Defense approved war plans and contingencies as a multi-mission air wing. He is responsible for the combat readiness of a wing consisting of three groups and 10 staff offices with more than 1,200 personnel. He oversees and executes an operating budget of more than $59 million that includes support of two tenant organizations.
Col. Fowler was commissioned in 1998 as a distinguished graduate of the U.S. Air Force Academy. His career includes 12 years of flying experience and three years as an Air Liaison Officer with a Joint Terminal Attack Controller qualification. Later, he was a Strategic Planner on the Chief Action Group (CAG) for the Chief of the National Guard Bureau where he developed policy and strategic initiatives on behalf of the Chief of the National Guard Bureau. Col. Fowler also served as the Air National Guard Advisor to the AFSOC Commander, providing liaison and advice to the AFSOC Commander on AFSOC Air National Guard (ANG) units for verification of statistical data and coordinating ANG units into deployments, exercises, and real world events and training. Col. Fowler has experience in strategic planning, programming, and mobilization and operational planning.
1998 Bachelor of Science, Mechanical Engineering, Distinguished Graduate, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2000 EURO-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas
2001 F-15C Training Unit Fighter Basic Course, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
2003 Joint Terminal Attack Controller Course, Nellis AFB, Nev.
2006 Air Force Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2008 Air Force Plans, Program, Budget, and Execution Course, Crystal City, Va.
2011 Air Force Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2015 Air Force Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2016 Joint and Combined Warfighting School (JMPE II), Norfolk, Va.
1. May 1998 – December 1999, EURO-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training, 88th Flying Training Squadron, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas
2. December 1999 – January 2001, Basic Operation Course F-15, 2nd Fighter Squadron, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
3. January 2001 – December 2003, 67th Fighter Squadron, 18th Wing, Kadena Air Base, Japan
4. December 2003 – October 2006, 20th Air Support Operations Squadron, Fort Drum, N.Y.
5. October 2006 – September 2008, Air National Guard Staff (A3), National Guard Bureau, Andrews AFB, Md.
6. September 2008 – December 2010, Air National Guard Staff (A8), National Guard Bureau, Andrews AFB, Md.
7. December 2010 – September 2011, 122nd Fighter Squadron, 159th Fighter Wing, Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base, New Orleans, La.
8. September 2011 – August 2015, Air National Guard Staff (A3), National Guard Bureau, Andrews AFB, Md.
9. August 2015 – February 2017, Chief, Chief’s Action Group (CAG), National Guard Bureau, Pentagon, Va.
10. February 2017 – April 2018, ANG Advisor to AFSOC, AFSOC HQ, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
11. April 2018 – December 2018, Commander, 137th Special Operations Group, 137th Special Operations Wing, Oklahoma City
12. December 2018 – present, Commander, 137th Special Operations Wing, Oklahoma City
Rating: Command Pilot
Military Flight Hours: More than 950
Military Aircraft Flown: T-37, T-38, AT-38, F-15C/D and MC-12W aircraft
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal
Aerial Achievement Medal
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Army Commendation Medal
AF Outstanding Unit Award with “V” device
Iraq Campaign Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 1998
First Lieutenant May 2000
Captain May 2002
Major Jan. 2007
Lieutenant Colonel Dec. 2011
Colonel May 2017
(Current as of December 2018)